Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Pile Of Pumpkins



Longwood has a fall exhibit of glass pumpkins on display. The pumpkins themselves are from Cohn-Stone Studio where you can find many more photos if you like glass fruit. The thing that really interested me is the clever way they've arranged them for viewing. The Longwood staff did the display, not the glass people, at least that's what we were told by the lady who seemed to be in charge of the pumpkins. So you have this whole pile of pumpkins, different colors, different sizes. . .what do you do with them? You can't just load them in a wheelbarrow like this:


[Photo from their website. It makes me nervous just to look at it.]


The Longwood people decided to make an enormous cornucopia out of chicken wire and line it with moss and leaves and bittersweet, set it up on a long table, and pile the pumpkins in it. Then more moss and leaves around the outside and more pumpkin arrangements. It looks quite lovely. It's in the back of the conservatory in a rather dark room and it comes as a surprise when you first see it. I heard lots of oohs and aahs. I hate using a flash so I took these shots without, but I kind of like the spooky, glowing way they turned out.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the display. I'm the curator of it and my mom is the 'lady in charge of the pumpkins' though she's only volunteering as such :-)

Meredith said...

You did a masterful job on the display. Your Mom increased our enjoyment when she explained how the display had been created.