Saturday, July 5, 2008

Dreary Fourth of July


Oh, it was a dreary 4th of July here. I had to take the flag down right after I took this picture because it started to rain hard and it would have gotten soaked. Now, Saturday morning, it's still rainy and foggy and damp and chilly. The other funny thing about yesterday was that I didn't hear any firecrackers going off all day. Usually they are popping relentlessly, rain or shine. I know because they always used to terrify my pets and I couldn't wait for the day to be over. Not yesterday. Nothing. No noise. Odd. I did hear some organized fireworks going off way after dark, but it was damp and soggy and I was glad I was home and dry. I think the holiday has a different feeling this year what with the scary economy, our poor troops in that Godforsaken war, and all the environmental issues we face. This isn't the country it used to be.

2 comments:

Amy said...

That's a sad post. Happy fourth of July anyway. Hope you guys are good. Miss you. Love, Amy

Sarah said...

No fireworks for us either....
The 4th just doesn't feel the same without them.